Cream of Tomato and Roasted Red Pepper Soup
- 15 min
- 60 min
- 10 ripe, medium-sized tomatoes on the vine
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 red peppers, quartered and seeded
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Olive oil, in sufficient quantity
- 250 mL (1 cup) chicken stock
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) tomato paste
- 125 mL (½ cup) Dairyland whipping cream
- Handful fresh basil leaves
- Preheat the oven to 175˚C (350˚F).
- Lay the tomatoes, onion, garlic, peppers, thyme and rosemary out on a generously oiled baking sheet. Drizzle some more oil over the vegetables. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast the vegetables in the oven for 45-50 minutes, or until they look caramelized. Remove the vegetables from the oven when they are done.
- Place the roasted vegetables and herbs in a blender with the chicken stock. Blend until fully combined. Add the cream and basil, blending once more.
- Serve soup in bowls garnished with a dollop of cream and fresh basil leaves.