Butternut Squash Carbonara Pasta
- 10 min
- 25 min + pasta cooking time
- 280 g (9.8 oz) dry linguine pasta
- 225 g (8 oz) pancetta, cut into small cubes
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 500 mL (2 cups) fresh or frozen butternut squash cubes (cubes should be about 1-cm/1/3-in in size)
- 500 mL (2 cups) chicken broth
- 1 mL (1/4 tsp) salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) Dairyland 15% m.f. Cooking Cream
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) Saputo Very Fine Shredded Parmesan Cheese, plus more to serve
- 1 egg yolk
- Fresh sage leaves
- Cook the linguine according to the manufacturer’s instructions, removing 2 minutes from the recommended cooking time. Save 125 mL (1/2 cup) of the cooking water, then drain the pasta and set aside.
- Set a large pan over medium heat. Add the pancetta and sauté until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the pancetta to a bowl, keeping the fat in the pan. (There should be about 30 mL/2 tbsp fat remaining in the pan. Scoop out excess fat if necessary.)
- Add the shallot and garlic to the pancetta fat and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Add the butternut squash and cook, stirring for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the squash is beginning to soften (softening will be faster if using frozen butternut squash.) Add the chicken broth, season with salt and pepper, then bring to a simmer. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the squash is very tender and the liquid is reduced by half. Stir in the Dairyland 15% m.f. Cooking Cream.
- Transfer the squash mixture to a blender and puree until very smooth. (You can also use a stick mixer to do this.) Return to the pan. In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolk, then slowly drizzle some of the hot sauce while whisking to gently warm the yolk. Pour the yolk mixture into the sauce and whisk to combine. Turn the heat back on to medium and bring the sauce just to a simmer. Simmer, whisking continuously for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the reserved pancetta, then add the pasta and stir to coat. The sauce should be loose at this point. If it seems thick, add a bit of pasta water. Simmer the pasta for 1 minute. Add the Saputo Very Fine Shredded Parmesan Cheese and stir to melt the cheese.
- Divide the pasta between serving bowls. Sprinkle with more Saputo Very Fine Shredded Parmesan Cheese and garnish with fresh sage leaves.