- 20 min
- 2h 50 min (includes proofing time)
- 7-8 (yields one 6 ¾ inch standard panettone loaf)
Chocolate Cherry Dough
- 11.25 mL (2 1/4 teaspoons) active dry or instant yeast
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) Dairyland whipping cream, warm
- 63 mL (1/4 cup) warm water
- 2.5 mL (1/2 teaspoon) plus 60 mL (4 tablespoons) sugar
- 750 – 875 mL (3 - 3 1/2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 45 mL (3 tablespoons) good quality cocoa powder
- 2.5 mL (1/2 teaspoon) salt
- 2 large eggs
- 83 mL (1/3 cup) melted Dairyland butter
- 30 mL (2 tablespoons) additional sweetener (sugar, honey, or molasses)
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) chocolate chips
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) dried cherries, rehydrated in orange juice
- 1 large egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 30 mL (2 tablespoons) Dairyland whipping cream
Yields 10 - 12 houses, depending on size
- 375 mL (1 1/2 cup) all-purpose flour
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) good-quality cocoa powder
- 1.25 mL (1/4 teaspoon) salt
- 250 mL (1 cup) unsalted Dairyland butter, room temperature
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) granulated sugar
- In a medium bowl, combine the yeast, cream, warm water, and 1/2 teaspoon of sugar and give it a little stir. Let it sit for about 5 minutes, until it becomes foamy on top.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl mix together the flour, salt, and remaining 4 tablespoons sugar.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, butter, and additional sweetener.
- When the yeast is foamy, add it to the dry mixture immediately followed by the egg mixture and stir to combine.
- Knead until you have a smooth and slightly sticky dough, 7 to 10 minutes, adding more flour as necessary. Knead the chocolate chips and rehydrated cherries into the dough after initial 5 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to an oiled bowl, cover it with plastic wrap, and let it sit at room temperature until doubled in size, about 2 hours.
- Punch the dough down after it has risen. Transfer the loaf to the panettone mold (or a tall cake pan) and let it rise, covered, at room temperature for 30 minutes, until slightly puffy.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Brush the loaf lightly with the egg wash. Bake until the loaf is golden brown and has an internal temperature of 190°F; begin checking for doneness at 30 minutes.
- Remove the loaf from the oven, and cool it on a rack before slicing.
Chocolate Shortbread Cookie Houses (Optional)
- In a small bowl, sift flour and cocoa together. Add salt, stir, and set aside.
- In a bowl of a standing mixer with a paddle attachment, beat butter on medium speed for 3 to 5 minutes until fluffy.
- Add sugar and continue to beat until very light in colour.
- Add the flour and cocoa mixture and combine on low speed, until flour is just incorporated and dough sticks together when squeezed with fingers.
- On a floured surface, roll out cookie dough to 1/4 inch in thickness.
- Cut out house shapes freehand or use a cookie cutter.
- Chill cut outs on parchment in the freezer for 30 minutes before baking. *This is an important step to ensure that cookies retain their shape.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment. Lay cookies on lined baking sheets. Bake until firm, 13 to 15 minutes. Cool completely on wire racks.
- Transfer store-bought icing to a piping bag with a fine piping tip. Decorate cooled cookies.
- Any leftover icing will be used to help secure the houses to the panettone.
A recipe created by our foodie influencer @ConstellationInspiration