French Toast Fingers with Maple Strawberry Sauce
- 15 min
- 40 min
- 250 mL (1 cup) quartered fresh strawberries
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) Dairyland unsalted butter
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) maple syrup
- 60 mL (1/4 cup) granulated maple sugar or brown sugar
- 60 mL (1/4 cup) Dairyland whipping cream
- 1 mL (1/4 tsp) sea salt
- 8 thick slices brioche or bread
- 4 eggs
- 250 mL (1 cup) Dairyland milk
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) pure vanilla extract
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) maple syrup or sugar
- Dairyland unsalted butter, for cooking
- Using a food processor or a stick blender, puree the strawberries to a fine consistency (you should get about 125 mL / 1/2 cup of puree). Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Whisk in the maple syrup, sugar, and cream. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Whisk in the strawberry puree and simmer for 2 minutes. Whisk in the salt, then transfer to a glass jar. Set aside or refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Preheat the oven to 150 °C (300 °F).
- Slice the bread into fingers. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, vanilla extract, and maple syrup or sugar together. In a large skillet set over medium heat, melt 15 mL (1 tbsp) butter. Dunk the bread fingers into the egg mixture one at a time, then transfer to the skillet. Repeat to cook several bread fingers at once, making sure they’re set in a single layer. Using tongs, turn the fingers to brown them on all sides. Set the cooked French toast fingers on a baking sheet and transfer to the oven to keep warm. Wipe the skillet clean using a paper towel, then return to medium heat and melt 15 mL (1 tbsp) butter. Repeat the steps to cook all of the bread.
- Serve the French toast fingers warm with maple strawberry sauce on the side.