- 60 min
- 1 h 30 min
- 250 mL (1 cup) Dairyland sour cream
- 10 mL (2 tsp) ground cumin
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) fresh coriander, chopped
- to taste: brown sugar
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) oil
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) ground cumin
- 675 g (1 1/2 lb) ground beef
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) tomato paste
- 60 mL (4 tbsp) mild Mexican chili powder
- 500 mL (2 cups) water
- to taste: salt and freshly ground pepper
- Sufficient quantity shredded lettuce
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 english cucumber, diced
- 360 g (12 oz) Armstrong Mild Cheddar cheese, grated
- 12 corn tortillas, cut in strips and fried (or commercial tortilla chips)
- Combine all the ingredients for the sauce and set aside.
- In a large skillet, sweat the onion, jalapeño and garlic in oil for about 8 minutes. Add the cumin and cook another 2 minutes. Add the meat and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until it is no longer pink. Add the tomato paste, chilli powder and water. Season with salt and pepper and continue cooking until almost all the liquid has evaporated. Transfer to the middle of a large serving platter.
- Arrange the shredded lettuce around the meat mixture, top with diced tomatoes and cucumber and sprinkle with Cheddar cheese.
- Serve with the tortilla chips and sauce.